News:

Welcome to Scientific Data Systems Support Forum!
You are welcome to browse the forum. However, you will need to register in order post or reply topics in this forum. Registration is free and only take 1 minute to complete the registration process.

Main Menu

Boot manager to select Main or Backup?

Started by dserdu, April 27, 2009, 03:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dserdu

I tried using a boot manager (Acronis OS Selector v9) to select between Main and Backup instead of messing with the boot order in the BIOS, and it appeared to work okay.  The disk that booted was assigned C: and the non-booted disk was assigned the same letter (E: I think) in both instances.  Is there any reason not to use a boot manager?  I'm trying to make it easier to boot the backup disk for maintenance and testing.

nvv

We want to keep the hard drives independent from each other, so if 1 hard drive fails, the other hard drive can be booted by itself. In addition, it does not take that much time to access the BIOS and change the hard drive boot order.
If you install Boot Manager on the first hard drive, and that first hard drive fails, then you will not have access to Boot Manager on the second hard drive.

dserdu

That's true, but the system would boot from the 2nd drive just the way it does now, wouldn't it?

nvv

Quote from: dserdu on April 29, 2009, 12:21:11 PM
That's true, but the system would boot from the 2nd drive just the way it does now, wouldn't it?

Yes.

I recommended that you need to copy all updated data from the Warrior folder of one hard drive to another for backup purpose.